Date:      Tue, 9 Mar 1999 10:36:57 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Paul T. Root" <proot@mail.iaces.com>
To:        droo@eudoramail.com (Droo Momo Kinky)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kernel problem

In a previous message, Droo Momo Kinky said:
> Hi,
>
>   I've just done installing freebsd2.2.6 , and i've
> copied the GENERIC into another separate file as kernelmy , i've commented out those things in kernelmy
> as well, make depend , make , make install
>
>   make depend was alright as well as make , but i'm
> stucked in make install, it says that i need to built
> the kernel b4 running make install, what does that means?

It means type "make" not "make install". You ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS
want to be sure that the kernel compiled before charging in and
installing it.

> Thanks
>

> Join 18 million Eudora users by signing up for a free Eudora Web-Mail account at http://www.eudoramail.com

Here is a simple experiment that will teach you an important electrical
lesson: On a cool, dry day, scuff your feet along a carpet, then reach
your hand into a friend's mouth and touch one of his dental fillings.
Did you notice how your friend twitched violently and cried out in
pain?  This teaches us that electricity can be a very powerful force,
but we must never use it to hurt others unless we need to learn an
important electrical lesson.

It also teaches us how an electrical circuit works.  When you scuffed
your feet, you picked up batches of "electrons", which are very small
objects that carpet manufacturers weave into carpets so they will
attract dirt.  The electrons travel through your bloodstream and
collect in your finger, where they form a spark that leaps to your
friend's filling, then travels down to his feet and back into the
carpet, thus completing the circuit.

Amazing Electronic Fact: If you scuffed your feet long enough without
touching anything, you would build up so many electrons that your
finger would explode!  But this is nothing to worry about unless you
have carpeting.
                -- Dave Barry, "What is Electricity?"