Date:      Tue, 6 Aug 2002 01:08:32 +0200
From:      Anton Berezin <tobez@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Mark Edwards <mark@antsclimbtree.com>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: SpamAssassin / p5-PodParser fail

On Mon, Aug 05, 2002 at 10:51:56AM -0700, Mark Edwards wrote:
> On Monday, August 5, 2002, at 05:52  AM, Christopher H. Laco wrote:
>
> >See:
> >http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/39337

Actually, apart from this PR, there is a couple of others.  Audit-trail
might or might not be useful to you:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/39352
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/40100

Of the previous posts on the issue this one might be of interest:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=415359+0+/usr/local/www/db/text/2002/freebsd-ports/20020714.freebsd-ports

> >I think there are now 2 ways around this:

> >#1 cvsup your source and rebuild the base Perl. The @INC order has
> >changed.

Just note that in principle you don't have to rebuild the whole system,
just perl.

> >#2 cvsup your ports tree and rebuild p5-Spamassassin. IIRC, someone
> >patched the ports to look in a different spot for the File::Spec module
> >(ports first, then base).
>
> Actually, the fix I came up with was to follow what
> /usr/ports/devel/p5-File-Spec suggested:
>
> Installing /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.00503/man/man3/File::Spec::Mac.3
> Installing /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.00503/man/man3/File::Spec.3
> Writing
> /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005/i386-freebsd/auto/File/Spec/.packlist
> ## Differing version of File/Spec/Mac.pm found. You might like to
> rm /usr/libdata/perl/5.00503/File/Spec/Mac.pm
> ## Differing version of File/Spec/OS2.pm found. You might like to
> rm /usr/libdata/perl/5.00503/File/Spec/OS2.pm
> ## Differing version of File/Spec/Unix.pm found. You might like to
> rm /usr/libdata/perl/5.00503/File/Spec/Unix.pm
> ## Differing version of File/Spec/VMS.pm found. You might like to
> rm /usr/libdata/perl/5.00503/File/Spec/VMS.pm
> ## Differing version of File/Spec/Win32.pm found. You might like to
> rm /usr/libdata/perl/5.00503/File/Spec/Win32.pm
> ## Running 'make install UNINST=1' will unlink all those files for you.
> Appending installation info to /usr/local/lib/perllocal.pod
>
> I ran those rm commands and after that SpamAssassin compiled fine.  I
> assume those files are going to get replaced next time I make installworld,
> right?

Absolutely correct, unless you put NOPERL=yes into your /etc/make.conf.
On the other hand, if you installworld with a recent and even not so
recent -stable (NOT 4.6.1!), this will not matter since you are going to
get reversed @INC.

> Should I just install the lang/perl5 port?  Would that be better
> in the long run?

I would no doubt go for this solution in case of a new box.  Just
remember that if you already have lots of perl modules installed, it is
better to reinstall all of them after perl port is there.

If this is the case, I might go for one of the other solutions.

On the other hand, as perl is being phased out of the base system,
installing the port does not sound like a bad idea, in the long run.

Cheers,
=Anton.
--
| Anton Berezin                |      FreeBSD: The power to serve |
| catpipe Systems ApS   _ _ |_ |           http://www.FreeBSD.org |