Date:      Wed, 7 Jul 1999 23:13:08 -0500
From:      Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@americantv.com>
To:        Mohit Aron <aron@cs.rice.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: paper on improving webserver performance

On Jul 07, 1999 at 10:46:19PM -0500, Mohit Aron wrote:

> > This seems to indicate that you still have the overhead where the timer
> > fires, but no events are actually pending.
>
> True, but it avoids any pointer manipulations when timers are set and cancelled
> by TCP (which happens much more). Only if a timer is set by TCP that needs to
> fire earlier than the time that the timing wheel event handler needs to fire
> would you need to move around the timing wheel event.

Yes, I thought the same thing too.  Originally, my implmentation simply
moved all connections in a TIME_WAIT states onto a separate timing wheel,
and left the rest of the code alone.

Turns out that the overhead of inserting/deleting events from the timing
wheel is trivial as compared to the cost of checking the hash buckets and
walking the chains checking for events.

> In any case, I'm very interested in your implementation since you appear to
> have seen faster performance results with it.

I'm just about done; wrapping up some testing and making sure I didn't
break anything.
--
Jonathan