Date:      Tue, 22 Oct 2002 10:48:45 -0300
From:      Fernan Aguero <fernan@iib.unsam.edu.ar>
To:        Andrew <andrew@ugh.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG, Novoselov Ilya <nullguid@chertenok.tgngu.tyumen.ru>
Subject:   Re: ports/44327: databases/posgtresql7 port doesn't automatically build

+----[ Esto dijo Andrew (andrew@ugh.net.au):

| On Mon, 21 Oct 2002, Fernan Aguero wrote:
|
| >  AFAIK some people could get pgsql built OK, others do not,
| >  and the reasons for this differences are not clear.
|
| I haven't tried lately but I've found in the past I needed to use
|
| env -i PATH=$PATH make
|
| to compile postgres.

Hi Andrew,

thanks for your tip. It worked. And also, sorry for the
delay in replying.

Actually, the first time I tested your suggestion I just got
confused by the broken dialog(1) that warns me to backup the
data. The following dialog was also broken (choose
multilingualism, kerberos ...). So setting the PATH this way
gets postgresql7 compiled OK, but breaks the initial ports
dialogs.

So again, yes, it works, but I don't know what I choosed
at the dialog step ... I don't mind about kerberos, because
I don't have it installed, but I don't know how
multilingualism can affect my postgresql installation.

Also, and now trying to get to the maintainers, if
what Andrew proposed gets the port to compile (and this
agreed with the steps detailed by Novoselov, this means that
there is something in the ports Makefile (or perhaps the
problem is with some of the more general bsd.*.mk files?)
that is altering the environment, and more specifically the
PATH, so that some private configuration within postgres is
failing.

I'm a newbie with respect to porting and compiling stuff,
but perhaps the ports Makefile can provide for a fix,
perhaps running Gen_fmgrtab.sh with an unmodified PATH, and
see if this solves the problem?

In the meantime, a message could be added warning users of
this. Perhaps a very first dialog:
"If the compilation fails try running 'env -i PATH=$PATH
make' instead of 'make'. Some users have found this to get
the port to compile. We are working in getting this solved."

Thanks all for your time,

Fernan

+----]

--