Date:      Wed, 11 Aug 2010 07:05:38 +0200
From:      Dick Hoogendijk <dick@nagual.nl>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ZFS woes

  On 11-8-2010 0:52, Dale Scott wrote:
>>> wiped out the firt mb; i used sysinstall to create a fbsd slice; wipe=
>>> it out again; booted knoppix to create an EFI / GPT; booted into
>>> opensolaris and created a zpool (v14), but nothing, nothing=20
>>> did the trick.
> I was doing a vanilla fbsd install recently using a couple re-claimed 2=
50GB IDE drives. The install completed without errors, but after reboot G=
EOM complained bitterly about the secondary GPT table on the boot drive b=
eing corrupted or invalid, and unrecoverable corrupted or invalid GPT tab=
les on the 2nd drive. By trying something like above, I was able to get t=
he system drive to rebuild the secondary GPT table, but nothing worked on=
 the second drive. Google told me a targeted approach was technically pos=
sible (by calculating exactly where a specific drive stores its GPT metad=
ata and zeroing just that bit), but also that the broader solution of zer=
oing out the entire drive would be faster for me than figuring out the ca=
lculation (about 18 hrs to zero the entire drive, at least it was mostly =
while sleeping): "dd if=3D/dev/zero of=3D/dev/ad3 bs=3D64K" (no idea if t=
he block size is optimal or even relevant).

I did not want to overwrite two drives with /dev/zero, so I created a=20
mirror with gmirror yesterday, folowing the steps from the freebsd manual=
=2E

After it was completed I just did:

# gmirror stop gm0
# gmirror clear /dev/ad12
# gmirror clear /dev/ad14

# dd if=3D/dev/zero of=3D/dev/ad12 bs=3D1m count=3D1
# dd if=3D/dev/zero of=3D/dev/ad14 bs=3D1m count=3D1
# kldload zfs
# zpool create store mirror ad12 ad14
## Wrote some data to /store ##
# zpool scrub store
# zpool history store
## No More Errors !!! ##

I guess creating the gmirror metadata / mirror and removing it cleared=20
all data which caused me so much trouble.
I happely removed the geom_mirror_load=3D"YES" with zfs_load=3D"YES" and =

have what I wanted: FreeBSD/zfs