Date:      Mon, 14 Aug 1995 12:22:56 +0100 (BST)
From:      Paul Richards <paul@netcraft.co.uk>
To:        gary@palmer.demon.co.uk (Gary Palmer)
Cc:        terry@cs.weber.edu, paul@freebsd.org, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Netware gateway.

> In message <9508112032.AA08265@cs.weber.edu>, Terry Lambert writes:
> >> There's a problem. I need to use fake ip addresses on the
> >> internal side of the FreeBSD box since there's only a single valid ip
> >> address allocated. I've thought about using socks on the FreeBSD box so that
> >> the fake internal ip addresses are never seen. Basically, I'm not sure this
> >> will work with Novix and I'm touting for experiences of solving this
> >> setup in general, i.e. connecting Netware networks to the internet across
> >> a dial-up connection where you've only had a single ip address allocated.
>
> >I don't really understand this is a requirement.
>
> Demon Internet don't allow you to have multiple IP's routed through
> the same link unless you buy an entire class C off them (yes, I know
> that they are free, but you have to pay DIS to route it to you, etc,
> etc), and I seem to remember that they only do Class C rental as part
> of their leased line package now, although I could be mistaken (I
> haven't looked at their price structure for a while now).

Ahh, yes, the joys of US connectivity.

A 128Kb link from Pipex is $60,000 !!! You've got no chance of
getting a class C address unless you get a leased line. It's
basically accepted here now that if you get a dial-up connection
you'll be allocated nothing more than a single ip address.

BT, the only telcom big enough to really service the internet here
has a stranglehold on leased lines, a 64Kb leased line is $9000 to
rent, that's just the physical cable. You have to pay an ISP for
the internet service on top of that.

--
  Paul Richards, Bluebird Computer Systems. FreeBSD core team member.
  Internet: paul@FreeBSD.org, http://www.freebsd.org/~paul