Date:      Mon, 15 Jan 2001 21:59:23 -0800 (PST)
From:      f f <smowball99@yahoo.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   limits, compiling and more

Hello

  Hello, as regards to my last question about raising
the limits past 1064 I did this:

reinstalled the OS telling newfs to do 4096 that works
fine until I reboot then it drops back down to 1064
<sigh>

I did this (which worked for the time being)
sysctl -w
kern.maxfiles: 8192
kern.maxfilesperproc: 4096

but still after running the IRCd says that the limit
needs to be set 1064 or lower.

Someone told me to store these limits (above) in
a etc/sysctl.conf file but when I went to etc that
file wasn't in there .. do I have to newly create the
file or should it already be there?

I trying to get fd_setsize WAY past the 1064 limit ..
like to 4064 or 8192 or even higher (16,000+ users ..
I got PLENTY of ram!)

do I have to recompile the kernel to do this?  like
run the MAKE and configure (config) and all to
recompile?

Anyone know any other tricks or what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks again for your help