Date:      Wed, 14 Jul 1999 14:19:00 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        wayne@crb-web.com
Cc:        FreeBSD Hackers List <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: changing argv[0] after fork()

At 1:28 PM -0400 7/14/99, Wayne Cuddy wrote:
> Even though I am developing on FBSD is there a "more portable" way
> to do this?

The man page for setproctitle(3) notes that none of the ways to do
this are necessarily portable to other systems.  That said, I have
a routine from a lambdaMOO program which patches the command string,
and apparently works on several different unix platforms.  On the
other hand, I just recently patched that routine so it would "work
better" under FreeBSD, as what it was doing wasn't quite ideal.  I
could point you at that if you're interested.

It does make sense that for any platform which DOES have a
setproctitle, you should use that instead of other tricks.

---
Garance Alistair Drosehn           =   gad@eclipse.acs.rpi.edu
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute