Date:      Fri, 26 Nov 1999 15:55:14 -0500 (EST)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
Subject:   Re: Miata support

Wilko Bulte writes:
 > I'm looking for opinions on the Miata machines. PWS433a to be exact.
 > Any good/bad experiences to report?
 >
 > TIA,
 > Wilko

Yes.  Both good and bad.

There are at least 2 revs of Miatas, but there is no labeling
difference for you to be able to tell them apart.  The fact that they
have identical model numbers is due to Microsoft -- they would have
had to re-certify the the platform for NT with Microsoft if they had
changed the model number.

The earlier miatas have a horribly buggy pci chipset which cannot do
DMA Reads across page boundaries and which is prone to lockup under heavy
PCI I/O.  They do not allow 'unknown' PCI cards into the 64-bit PCI
slot (you can override this, but it is a pain).  They are very picky
about what graphics cards they will accept.  However, if you have a
graphics card which works in the machine & are not planning on running
anything very I/O intesive (gig ether, myrinet, multiple U/W SCSI
channels, etc), then you'll probably be OK.

These earlier miatas are characterized by having the Qlogic SCSI
adaptor as an actual PCI card.  They have an Intel PCI/ISA bridge & a
CMD IDE adapter.  They do not have USB ports.

The later models have a much improved rev of the chipset & most PCI
problems are gone. They have onboard Qlogic SCSI, a Cypress PCI/ISA
bridge, a Cypress IDE controller, and have USB support.  The only
disadvantage to these machines is that we don't support the Cypress
IDE chipset very well.  I have failed (but not tried very hard) to
make it do busmaster DMA using the ATA drivers.

Cheers,

Drew