Date:      Tue, 4 Jan 2000 13:51:31 +0100 (CET)
From:      Marc Schneiders <marc@oldserver.demon.nl>
To:        Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: automatic conf of pcmcia ethernet

On Mon, 3 Jan 2000, Michael Lucas wrote:

> If you look at /etc/pccard.conf, you will see "insert" and "delete"
> statements, to be run when the card is found & ejected.  You can do
> you ifconfig there.

My /etc/pccard.conf has:

card "DYNALINK" "L10C"
        config  0x20 "ed1" ?
        ether   0xff0
        insert  echo PCMCIA Ethernet inserted
        insert  /etc/pccard_ether ed0
        remove  echo PCMCIA Ethernet removed
        remove  /sbin/ifconfig ed0 delete

As far as I can see /etc/pccard_ether should get the ifconfig values
out of rc.conf. Or does this only work if you insert the card *after*
boot? I just leave it in the laptop, as I don't use any other cards
with it.

> > I've installed FreeBSD (4.0) on an old laptop (Toshiba 486 SX 33 with
> > 4 MB, yeah). I edited /etc/rc.conf:

> > pccard_ifconfig="YES"
> > network_interfaces="ed0 lo0"
> > ifconfig_ed0="inet 10.10.10.11 netmask 255.255.255.0"
> >
> > ed0 is also in the kernel.
> >
> > Card is not setup during boot, because the pccardd is started and the
> > card found after the network configuration is done. I can manually
> > ifconfig the card after logging in and it works.
> >
> > Now I've added an ifconfig.sh to /usr/local/etc/rc.d and that works
> > alright. But it does not feel good. There must be another, more
> > 'official' way.
> >
> > I would appreciate any comment and will be pleased to give more info
> > if needed.
> >
> > --
> > Marc Schneiders
> >
> > marc@venster.nl
> > marc@oldserver.demon.nl
> >
> > propro         	  2:20pm  up   3 days,  16:09,  load average: 1.01 1.05 1.17

Marc Schneiders

marc@venster.nl
marc@oldserver.demon.nl

propro         	  8:56pm  up   3 days,  22:45,  load average: 2.06 2.07 2.03