Date:      Fri, 24 Apr 1998 09:02:10 +0100
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bridging...

Luigi Rizzo wrote:

> I am trying to see what could be the best way to implement bridging
> within FreeBSD. The main app would be to connect 10/100 Mbit
> interfaces in the most transparent way (I know doing packet filtering
> on a 100 Mbit segment places a bit of load on the host and a
> dedicated solution could be cheaper/more efficient).
>
> Comments/opinions ?

That's funny - I was going ask _EXACTLY_ how you could do this with FreeBSD!

We're thinking of putting a FBSD machine 'between' our Cisco 2503 and the
rest of the LAN - the firewalling on FreeBSD is now 'better' than that on
our aging IOS Cisco - plus the box can 'capture' the bad packets - rather
than just junking them...

I'd like to have done it 'transparently' somehow - literally just copying
the traffic from say one fxp interface to another - running it through IPFW
(if possible) on the way...

Otherwise we have to do some renumbering and waste another 4 IP addresses (2
host subnet) on this, which although is no major shakes it would be nice to
do it a bit 'cleaner'... <g>

So - Yes, I think it's a good idea! <g>

> when configured as a bridge, just set the interfaces in promiscuous
> mode, and pass incoming packets to the other interfaces in the
> cluster using the usual bridging algorithms (see my bridge code on
> my web page).

Would this include running through IPFW or similar? - and could it still use
bpf etc. to sniff packets?

Regards,

Karl Pielorz