Date:      Tue, 10 Oct 2000 22:32:39 +0200
From:      "Siegbert Baude" <Siegbert.Baude@gmx.de>
To:        "Alfred Perlstein" <bright@wintelcom.net>, "Mike Meyer" <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Some basics about switches, hubs, full-duplex, half-duplex and OSI (was: Re: Network trickles)

> If you have a hub then you'll want to toggle it to half-duplex, if
>  you have a switch, most likely full duplex.
> Btw, cross-over cables can function in full duplex.
> The most switches can auto-negotiate so that if you're set up
> incorrectly you should be ok, however the real killer is trying to
> use full-duplex on a hub, which never seems to work.
> -Alfred Perlstein - [bright@wintelcom.net|alfred@freebsd.org]

Alfred is right in all points referring to practical handling of hubs and
switches. As I just have some time (this really happens now and then :-) ),
I try to shed some light on the terms and facts (buying a book or reading a
good magazine like my favourite cīt here in Germany, nevertheless is highly
recommended.) To whom it may be useful:

MAC: Media (physical cable) Access Control, implemented in the network
controller itself (e.g. your NIC). Each controller is defined by a
world-wide unique number (MAC-address). Logical network addresses (e.g.
IP-addresses) are always mapped to MAC-addresses for actual data exchange.
NIC:. Network Interface Card. The thing you plug into your computer to get
access to a network, (nowadays normally Ethernet).
Broadcast: Typical traffic on Windows-networks ;-) They look for hardware
addresses of other network controllers in the same net.
Half-Duplex: Only one device is sending packets over the cable at the same
time. Method to achieve this is CSMA/CD (Carrier Sense Multiple
Access/Collision Detection). The first means, that every device is listening
to the cable and sending packets only, if it is unused in the moment. It is
therefore possible, that two devices are accidentally sending packets at the
same time (so-called collision). The packets are lost and will be resent
after a small delay.
Full-Duplex: Two devices are sending packets over the cable at the same time
as up- and downstream. There is NO collision detection in full duplex mode!
Only possible therefore with (real or virtual) point-to-point connections
(two NICs with cross-connect cable or switch with standard cables).
Repeater: Amplifier to extend the network physically over the maximum
possible cable length. Fully transparent (invisible)for the network.
Hub: A multi-port repeater acting as cable concentrator for a star topology.

Hubs and Repeaters connnect devices to a "collision domain". All collisions
are seen on the whole net. To avoid this you need a bridge.

Bridge: Separating a net into subnets (the subnets can have different sorts
of cabling, e.g. coax and twisted-pair). Packets with sender and receiver in
the same subnet arenīt transported to the other subnets. As you must look
into the packets for the destination MAC-address to achieve this, this can
slow down your traffic a little bit. On the other hand you increase the
bandwidth within the subnets, as only a part of the packets are travelling
around. Normally a bridge can handle only one connection at a time.
Switch: Including the functionality of a hub, a switch is also a multi-port
bridge which offers logical point-to-point connections between the attached
devices (Full-duplex is therefore possible with switches!). This is achieved
by looking for the MAC-address in the packets and transporting them via an
internal high-speed bus (called backplane) to the port only, where the
device with the receiverīs MAC-address is attached. This is done for all
connections simultaneously, so to achieve full network speed the backplane
must have a bandwidth of (possible full-duplex) 2 X (number of ports) X
(bandwidth of the port). For a 10-port 100Mbit switch: 2Gbit/s !

All devices up to here transport broadcasts. To prevent this you will need a
router.

Router: A device connecting two network segments logically (a repeater does
this physically).  Using network layer information and routing tables, a
router transfers packets, which arenīt for the local network segment to the
next segment (or next router, if the destination segment isnīt reachable
directly).
Gateway: In earlier times routers were called gateways. According to
nowadays use of the term "gateway", it passes data between networks having
similar functions but dissimilar implementations. A router therefore is an
OSI layer 3 (network layer) gateway, and a mail gateway is an OSI layer 7
(application layer) gateway.

OSI: Open Systems Interconnection. A collection of protocols, developed by
ISO.
OSI Reference Model: This structure describes a computer network with a
seven-layer architecture.
Each higher level is working on top of the others.
Layer 1: Physical (bit transport) level. Defines mechanical and electrical
interfaces, e.g. the cables. Ethernet and Token Ring are on this layer. Hubs
and Repeaters work here (they are too dumb to know anything about the bits
they are transferring :-) )
Layer 2: Data link level. Transport is secured here by the MAC (therefore
often called MAC-layer). Bridges and Switches work on this layer, i.e. they
must know how to extract MAC-addresses and therefore arenīt transparent to
the LAN-standards, theyīre working on!
Layer 3: Network level. Independent of media and topology this layer is for
the real transport of data over information over networks. IP is based on
this layer. Routers therefore are working on layer 3.
Layer 4: Transport level: Interferes between the top three levels
(application system) and the bootm three levels (transport system). Makes
transport reliable and offers the possibility to transport different
services on the same transport mechanisms. TCP and UDP are here.
Layer 5: Session level: Synchronization and flux managment
Layer 6: Presentation level: Connection setup and termination, also
presentation of data.
Layer 7: Application level: Communication between applications.

So the 5 layers of the protocol family often abbreviated with TCP/IP is OSI
layer 3-7.

If you read about "Layer 3 Switches", you will see, that such a thing
doesnīt exist. Itīs a marketing term for switches with the additional
features of a router.

Nice to know: Switches differ in the bandwidth of the backplane, but also in
the number of MAC-addresses they can use. Not important for home use, but if
you attach large cascades of hubs and switches, a port must know all MAC
addresses of devices wired to it. This can be a large number. If you need
the support of SNMP in your switch, you have to decide by yourself :-)

If everything is set to auto-negotiation, things work normally. Problems
arise, if something is adjusted manually. The definitions arenīt fully
clear, if this implies, that everything has to be setup manually then. So
there are different implementations, what to do in this case, which often
leads to misunderstandings between the devices.
Hope this helps a little bit

Siegbert