Date:      Mon, 18 Nov 1996 22:20:00 -0800 (PST)
From:      asami@freebsd.org (Satoshi Asami)
To:        pgiffuni@fps.biblos.unal.edu.co
Cc:        chuckr@glue.umd.edu, joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Are broken ports useful?

 * INSTALL = @INSTALL@
 * INSTALL_PROGRAM = @INSTALL_PROGRAM@
 * INSTALL_DATA = @INSTALL_DATA@
 * INSTALL_USER = @USER@
 *
 * on the Makefile I found this:
 *
 * INSTALL = /usr/bin/install -c -o bin -g bin
 * INSTALL_PROGRAM = /usr/bin/install -c -s -o bin -g bin -m 555
 *
 * What do I look for? What must I change? (it's my first port!)

There are three ways around this:

(1) Look at the configure script, see where it defines INSTALL_PROGRAM
    and patch that to not include -s.  Then in your toplevel Makefile
    (i.e., /usr/ports/foo/bar/Makefile), add a post-install: target to
    strip the real binaries.

(2) Look at the part in the Makefile.in that is using
    ${INSTALL_PROGRAM} to install scripts and change that to
    ${INSTALL} -m 555 or something.

Note that INSTALL_PROGRAM is passed through the environment to the
configure script by bsd.port.mk, so configure might be picking that
up.  If so, (1) won't work.  In which case:

(3) Add "STRIP=" (with nothing to the right of "=") in your toplevel
    Makefile.  Then add a post-install: target like in (1).

Satoshi