Date:      Sun, 3 Feb 2002 02:35:46 +0400
From:      Gaspar Chilingarov <nm@web.am>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fork rate limit

-> Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2002 12:52:24 -0800 (PST)
-> From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
-> To: Gaspar Chilingarov <nm@wizard.web.am>
-> Cc: freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
->
-> :Hi!
-> :
-> :Is it reasonable to administratively limit users' ability to call fork
-> :too other ? Users can take away too much CPU time even if you have
	    ^^^ sorry, often, it's my typo :)
-> :limited them by login.conf 'cputime' limit - just forking lightweight
-> :processes too often.
-> :
-> :If it seems good thing to do, i'll try to code it and submit patches for
-> :-current.
-> :
-> :I think this limit must go to struct uidinfo, am i right ?
-> :Also i need to store per-user counters somewhere, can i place it there?
-> :
-> :--
-> :Gaspar Chilingarov
->
->     Well, we did make fork inherit the parent process's current
->     priority, so if a parent process forks() a lot it and its
->     children should get less cpu.  Beyond that the system can't really
->     tell whether the cpu use is something the sysad wants (i.e. sa
->     y it's a web server) or something the sysad doesn't want (an
->     abusive user).
->
-> 					-Matt

		i think SA can easily tell tehe system by assigning
		different uids assigned to them :)

		I've got such situation on our free shellbox set up in the
		university - some newbies were kidding with old while(1) fork();
		attack. Finnaly they got hit by memory limits set up for each
		user, but anyway they were taking a lot of processor time. I
		prefer to limit some uid's ability to do many forks in some
		short period - like 'no more than 200 forks in 10 seconds' or
		smthng like this.

--
Gaspar