Date:      Mon, 12 Jul 1999 09:14:44 +0100 (BST)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        Ville-Pertti Keinonen <will@iki.fi>
Cc:        jkh@zippy.cdrom.com, freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG, vallo@matti.ee
Subject:   Re: How to actually link with GLX library?

On 12 Jul 1999, Ville-Pertti Keinonen wrote:

> > That must be the Riva TNT driver then because the docs are very
> > specific that acceleration ONLY happens at 16 bit, and I've tried
> > it at 16, 24 and 32 and verified this for myself already.
>
> I was talking about the G200 driver.  The README and FAQ say that it
> only supports 16-bit Z-buffers, but that's not the same thing as color
> depth.
>
> The driver did seem to accelerate in 32-bit mode the last time I tried
> (not very recently), but you do need to have a sufficiently low
> resolution and/or small window.

That makes sense. You need a lot more memory for 3D - for 32bpp color:

	width * height * 4	front buffer
	width * height * 4	back buffer
	width * height * 2	depth buffer

It adds up pretty quickly which is why most of the card manufacturers are
selling 16mb and 32mb cards now :-). Any memory left over is generally
used for textures and the amount of texture memory can affect performance
noticably.

I have a 16mb TNT card (which I got from someone who upgraded to TNT2) and
it has plenty of memory for 1280x1024x16bpp.

--
Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com