Date:      Sat, 25 Aug 2001 14:15:49 -0600
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        Thomas Quinot <thomas@cuivre.fr.eu.org>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG, scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Failure to attach SCSI CD burner

On Sat, Aug 25, 2001 at 18:52:23 +0200, Thomas Quinot wrote:
> Him
>
> I have an HP4020 CD burner, and for a few weeks it has stopped
> being attached at boot, except when there is a CD-ROM in the
> drive at boot time. Otherwise I get the following message:
>
> (cd0:sym0:0:2:0): got CAM status 0x4c
> (cd0:sym0:0:2:0): fatal error, failed to attach to device
> (cd0:sym0:0:2:0): lost device
> (cd0:sym0:0:2:0): removing device entry
>
> (and subsequently, any attempts at accessing /dev/cd0* result
> in 'Device not configured', which makes sense).
> Is this a known problem?
>
> Last 'make world' on that machine is:
>   4.4-PRERELEASE #9: Thu Aug  9 17:33:53 CEST 2001

This is pretty odd.  It looks like your drive is returning an error when
there is no CD in the drive, which is normal.  What is not normal is that
it isn't providing sense information to tell us what that error is.

So this didn't happen before?  Have you done anything to the drive?
(like upgrade the firmware?)

When did you last build a new kernel before this happened?  I suppose this
started happening when you last built a kernel/world?

Do you have any other controllers you could put the drive on to see if it
is a controller/driver issue?

Try this, without a CD in the drive:

camcontrol cmd cd0 -v -c "25 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0" -i 8 "i4 i4"

Then try it with a CD in the drive.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry