Date:      Thu, 16 Apr 1998 22:46:35 -0700 (PDT)
From:      asami@FreeBSD.ORG (Satoshi Asami)
To:        danny@hilink.com.au
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD parsing in Squid.

 * I run squid 1.1.20 at FreeBSD 4.4. According to the response time return
 * from client, it is TEN TIMES SLOWER than I run it at SunOS v5. When I
 * compare the result from gprof, I find that squid spent considerably amount
 * of time (22.9%) in parseIntegerValue, decode_addr, aclParseIpData,
 * safe_inet_addr, storeDirClean, urlParse, parseHttpRequest and sscanf at
 * FreeBSD while only 3.7% of time spent in the same trace of code. Can
 * anyone tell me why?

I don't know, but if it's *ten times slower*, the time it takes inside
squid is not the difference unless you can find a few functions that
are taking up 90% of the time.  Most likely your squid is spending
most of the time waiting for something.

How are your network, disk, etc., configured?  Are the hardware and
network connections identical?

Also, "4.4" is not a valid FreeBSD version (I assume you got confused
by the "based on 4.4 BSD-Lite2" part), let us know what version of
FreeBSD you are running ("uname -a") will tell you.

Satoshi

P.S. I'm not an expert in squid configuration, so please reply to the list.