Date:      Tue, 20 Oct 1998 13:52:58 -0400
From:      "Steve Friedrich" <SteveFriedrich@Hot-Shot.com>
To:        "Craig Metz" <cmetz@inner.net>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and NetBSD coexistence?

On Tue, 20 Oct 1998 08:27:37 -0300, Craig Metz wrote:

>  Has anyone gotten a configuration like this to work, and what do you need to
>be done to untangle these?

I've been letting various OSes share hard drives for years, and I'm
really sick of it.  Especially since anything based on DOS, i.e.,
WinBlows, OS/2, assign drive letters for me (which I DON'T want it to
do), and every time I have to delete a partition, everything is out of
whack for the other OSes.

I was a project manager at my last company and I set up a test bed for
our app that used a SyQuest SparQ 1.0GB drive as a boot drive.  When I
wanted to switch to a different OS for testing purposes, I simply
changed the cartridge!!

The SparQ is available as IDE and some BIOSes wouldn't recognize it and
therefore couldn't use it as a primary boot drive.  I would really
recommend the SyQuest SyJet 1.5GB drive because it is available as a
SCSI interface.

Of course, my ideas require money, and you may have a tight budget.
Just wanted to make you aware of this alternative.

BTW, the SparQ carts are less than $33.  The SyJet cart is around $79
now.  These are local retail prices, and you can probably do better
thru mail-order...

I haven't yet tried either of these drives with FreeBSD, due to my own
cash flow problems.  I do have a SyJet at home, but it's in a
non-FreeBSD machine.  I've been really happy with it.  I've used it
with WinNT and OS/2.
Unix systems measure "uptime" in years, Winblows measures it in minutes.