Date:      Sun, 18 Jul 2010 17:42:14 -0400
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd@jdc.parodius.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: deadlock or bad disk ?  RELENG_8

At 05:14 PM 7/18/2010, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:

>Where exactly is your swap partition?

On one of the areca raidsets.

# swapctl -l
Device:       1024-blocks     Used:
/dev/da0s1b    10485760       108

>If you Google for "swap_pager: indefinite wait buffer: bufobj" you'll
>find this is a pretty well-established problem, but the situation varies
>per person.  A common one is here (read the entire thread):
>
>http://www.mail-archive.com/freebsd-questions@freebsd.org/msg192481.html
>
>I have no advice as far as how to solve this problem.

If feels like a disk issue, but SMART values all seem ok

eg

CLI> disk smart drv=1
S.M.A.R.T Information For Drive[#01]
   # Attribute Items                           Flag   Value  Thres  State
   1 Raw Read Error
Rate                       0x0f     108      6  OK
   3 Spin Up
Time                              0x03      91      0  OK
   4 Start/Stop
Count                          0x32     100     20  OK
   5 Reallocated Sector
Count                  0x33     100     36  OK
   7 Seek Error
Rate                           0x0f      81     30  OK
   9 Power-on Hours
Count                      0x32      79      0  OK
  10 Spin Retry
Count                          0x13     100     97  OK
  12 Device Power Cycle
Count                  0x32     100     20  OK
194 Temperature                               0x22      30      0  OK
197 Current Pending Sector Count              0x12     100      0  OK
198 Off-line Scan Uncorrectable Sector Count  0x10     100      0  OK
199 Ultra DMA CRC Error Count                 0x3e     200      0  OK

  smartctl -a -d 3ware,1 /dev/twa0
smartctl 5.39.1 2010-01-28 r3054 [FreeBSD 8.1-PRERELEASE amd64] (local build)
Copyright (C) 2002-10 by Bruce Allen, http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
Model Family:     Western Digital Raptor family
Device Model:     WDC WD740ADFD-00NLR1
Serial Number:    WD-WMANS1051760
Firmware Version: 20.07P20
User Capacity:    74,355,769,344 bytes
Device is:        In smartctl database [for details use: -P show]
ATA Version is:   7
ATA Standard is:  ATA/ATAPI-7 published, ANSI INCITS 397-2005
Local Time is:    Sun Jul 18 17:41:36 2010 EDT
SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.
SMART support is: Enabled

=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED

General SMART Values:
Offline data collection status:  (0x82) Offline data collection activity
                                         was completed without error.
                                         Auto Offline Data Collection: Enabled.
Self-test execution status:      (   0) The previous self-test
routine completed
                                         without error or no
self-test has ever
                                         been run.
Total time to complete Offline
data collection:                 (2391) seconds.
Offline data collection
capabilities:                    (0x7b) SMART execute Offline immediate.
                                         Auto Offline data collection
on/off support.
                                         Suspend Offline collection upon new
                                         command.
                                         Offline surface scan supported.
                                         Self-test supported.
                                         Conveyance Self-test supported.
                                         Selective Self-test supported.
SMART capabilities:            (0x0003) Saves SMART data before entering
                                         power-saving mode.
                                         Supports SMART auto save timer.
Error logging capability:        (0x01) Error logging supported.
                                         General Purpose Logging supported.
Short self-test routine
recommended polling time:        (   2) minutes.
Extended self-test routine
recommended polling time:        (  39) minutes.
Conveyance self-test routine
recommended polling time:        (   5) minutes.
SCT capabilities:              (0x103f) SCT Status supported.
                                         SCT Feature Control supported.
                                         SCT Data Table supported.

SMART Attributes Data Structure revision number: 16
Vendor Specific SMART Attributes with Thresholds:
ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME          FLAG     VALUE WORST THRESH
TYPE      UPDATED  WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE
   1
Raw_Read_Error_Rate     0x000b   200   200   051    Pre-fail  Always
      -       0
   3
Spin_Up_Time            0x0007   170   170   021    Pre-fail  Always
      -       2508
   4
Start_Stop_Count        0x0032   100   100   040    Old_age   Always
      -       45
   5
Reallocated_Sector_Ct   0x0033   200   200   140    Pre-fail  Always
      -       0
   7
Seek_Error_Rate         0x000a   200   200   051    Old_age   Always
      -       0
   9
Power_On_Hours          0x0032   060   060   000    Old_age   Always
      -       29672
  10
Spin_Retry_Count        0x0012   100   253   051    Old_age   Always
      -       0
  11 Calibration_Retry_Count
0x0012   100   253   051    Old_age   Always       -       0
  12
Power_Cycle_Count       0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always
      -       45
194
Temperature_Celsius     0x0022   107   099   000    Old_age   Always
      -       36
196 Reallocated_Event_Count
0x0032   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
197
Current_Pending_Sector  0x0012   200   200   000    Old_age   Always
      -       0
198
Offline_Uncorrectable   0x0012   200   200   000    Old_age   Always
      -       0
199
UDMA_CRC_Error_Count    0x000a   200   253   000    Old_age   Always
      -       0
200
Multi_Zone_Error_Rate   0x0008   200   200   051    Old_age   Offline
      -       0

SMART Error Log Version: 1
No Errors Logged

SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1
No self-tests have been logged.  [To run self-tests, use: smartctl -t]

SMART Selective self-test log data structure revision number 1
  SPAN  MIN_LBA  MAX_LBA  CURRENT_TEST_STATUS
     1        0        0  Not_testing
     2        0        0  Not_testing
     3        0        0  Not_testing
     4        0        0  Not_testing
     5        0        0  Not_testing
Selective self-test flags (0x0):
   After scanning selected spans, do NOT read-scan remainder of disk.
If Selective self-test is pending on power-up, resume after 0 minute delay.
         ---Mike