Date:      Fri, 5 Dec 1997 15:04:23 -0600 (CST)
From:      Jim Bryant <jbryant@unix.tfs.net>
To:        toasty@home.dragondata.com (Kevin Day)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Telnet Root access

In reply:
> > I've just installed FreeBSD 2.2.5 via FTP, and I can telnet into the machine
> > using any other user than root. The prompt simply says that the login fails,
> > but any other users is OK. I've check capitalisation, but I'm not sure why
> > this is happening.
> >
> > If anyone has any ideas, please reply
> >
> > Thanks.
> > Steven Fletcher
> > steven@shellnet.co.uk
> >

> You can't telnet in as root, as pty's aren't considered 'secure'.
>
> You have to telnet in as a user, then su.
>
> Kevin

one can argue that if logging in as root via telnet is insecure, then
using su while logged in via telnet is just as insecure.

as i said in my earlier message [freefall is running slow today], i do
highly suggest getting the ssh/sshd package for the purpose of logging
in via insecure connections, even then, i still recommend using su.

btw: you CAN log in as root via telnet, but i'm not going to have the
finger pointing at me for telling this guy which configuration file to
change, which by default diallows root logins over a pty.

is ssh/sshd a package yet?  last time i made it, i had to build it
myself...

jim
--
All opinions expressed are mine, if you    |  "I will not be pushed, stamped,
think otherwise, then go jump into turbid  |  briefed, debriefed, indexed, or