Date:      Sun, 19 Sep 1999 09:06:06 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        Greg Lewis <glewis@trc.adelaide.edu.au>, Evren Yurtesen <yurtesen@ispro.net.tr>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG, Nik Clayton <nik@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Documentation of security features

At 10:54 PM 9/18/99 -0700, Matthew Dillon wrote:

>    I did a quick look at 'makewhatis' but did not see any specific way
>     to be able to embed keywords in a manual page outside the NAME section.

You should see the way it's done for shell commands such as "fg"! The
*entire man page* is copied into another one with the name of the command;
that is, fg.1.gz is a copy of csh.1.gz! Very wasteful. Worse still, on
one of my systems that's been upgraded several times (and is currently
at 2.2.8 plus patches), the "fg" copy has gotten out of sync with the "csh"
copy; that is to say, they have different dates.

bg.1.gz is ANOTHER copy of the csh page. And so are limit.1.gz, popd.1.gz,
etc. We are talking megabytes of waste here.

Both problems (i.e. documenting more things and saving space) can be solved
at once by making use of hard links. I'd be glad to submit a PR, but since it
involves changing STRUCTURE as well as the text of things, only a committer
could actually implement it.

Once it's done, though, securelevel.7.fg could be a hard link to
security.7.gz or init.8.gz, and we'd save both space and effort.

--Brett