Date:      Thu, 07 Apr 2005 16:59:02 -0400
From:      Richard Coleman <rcoleman@criticalmagic.com>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: nfsiod tasks started in error

Kris Kennaway wrote:
>>It looks like setting vfs.nfs.iodmin=0 and then klling them off works.
>>We probably should think about changing the default to 0 and setting
>>appropriate values via /etc/rc.d/nfs.  Over all, I can't say this is a
>>very high priority though patches would certaintly be accepted.
>

> This was a deliberate change by Peter, since if you have NFSCLIENT in
> the kernel it's assumed you want to use the machine as a NFS client.
>
> Kris

That seems like a bad assumption.  There are many features that are made
available in GENERIC (or via module) in which it is not assumed will be
used by everyone.

I thought the general trend was to get away from requiring everyone to
recompile their kernel to configure their box.

It's not a big deal to me, since I rebuild my world anyways.  But I
suspect this question will come up semi-frequently since sysinstall
explicitly asks you if you want the machine to be a nfs client.

Richard Coleman
rcoleman@criticalmagic.com