Date:      Sun, 24 Dec 2006 04:11:47 +0100
From:      Armin Arh <armin@pubbox.net>
To:        Scott Bennett <bennett@cs.niu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: is it safe to upgrade ruby18?

On Sat, Dec 23, 2006 at 08:21:22PM -0600, Scott Bennett wrote:
>      The portmanager program wants to upgrade ruby18.  Is is safe to
> let it?  I made the mistake of trying to do a "portupgrade ruby18" under
good question.
As ruby is crucial to the portmanager special care should be taken.

Good luck there are almost no dependencies for ruby itself:

pkg_info -r /var/db/pkg/ruby-1.8.5_5,1/
Dependency: ldconfig_compat-1.0_8

Simply do

cd /usr/ports/lang/ruby18
make install

This may fail if ruby is already installed, but make will
let you know how to fix that.

###

This whole "portmanager" thing is lots of black magic, does
very impressing things. (Fixed my 3 year old mess, i never used portmanager)
But:
    -> Like all magic it is subject to fail.

I have no problem about it, because most of the time i don't need it.
Ports do not require "portmanager" to work, it's just a tool to
keep the dependencies tidy (and a lot more: to switch from xfree to xorg etc.).

The underlying ports system behaves very traditional (since 1995?),
keeping enough book-information in /var/db/pkg to "know what's going on".

    -> The good old tools (pkg_add, pkg_delete, pkg_info) never fail.

Armin
--
PUBBOX Postmaster + spam-killer. Free email addresses at http://pubbox.net/