Date:      Sun, 14 Apr 2002 23:50:53 +0100
From:      Pete French <pfrench@firstcallgroup.co.uk>
To:        otis@wilbury.sk, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Boot hang in boot0 on ASUS motherboard

> but problem is: I can't select OS to boot. Pressing of F1..F4
> generates beeps and no selection is possible. Is this a bug in boot0
> or BIOS or am I doing something wrong? I'm hopeless :-/

Well, Id use systinstall to write the boot sector myself so I
cant comment on how you wrote it, but the beep I have seen before.
I've seen this on Compaq's - mine does it. I found that the
solution was to always leave the machine turned off for at least
5 seconds, and not to touch any keys until you get the F1-F4 options
then the key should work. Dont do anythign like hiting escape to
skip the memory test - that is a dead cert to make it do the beeping
thing.

It bugged the hell out of me for a long time - I still get caught
by it when I reboot the machine (which is rarely)

hope this helps,

-pcf.