Date:      Tue, 16 Feb 1999 15:04:49 -0700 (MST)
From:      Brett Taylor <brett@peloton.physics.montana.edu>
To:        Nesi Unanaowo <nesi_unanaowo@net.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /usr/ports question

Hi,

Nesi wrote:

> I have just reinstalled my OS (3.0) In the /usr/ports/print directory
> for example there are packages that i would like to use but these
> packages have not been properly installed even though they are no
> longer in the compressed tar format.

I'm a bit confused.  There are no packages in /usr/ports (at least
initially).  Inside /usr/ports/print there should be a set of directories
like teTeX, each with a Makefile, a pkg directory (with PLIST, DESC,
COMMENT), a files directory (contains MD5), and possibly a patches
directory.  To make the particular port you are interested in just do the
following:

cd /usr/ports/print/some_application
make install

It'll go off and fetch the required source tarball.

From the rest of your message it appears possible that you've grabbed the
source tarball by hand and uncompressed it inside the
/usr/ports/print/some_application directory.  This won't work too well, as
I guess you've seen.  What you can do if this is the case is just move the
source tarball to /usr/ports/distfiles, remove the uncompressed source and
then type "make install" and it'll build it for you.

If you still have trouble send us a detailed description of what's
happening (with output from your session) and we'll try again.

Brett
Brett Taylor            brett@peloton.physics.montana.edu
http://peloton.physics.montana.edu/brett/

"Bart, a woman is like a beer.  They look good, they smell good,
 and you'd step over your own mother just to get one!"
						Homer Simpson