Date:      Tue, 7 Mar 2000 16:47:16 -0500 (EST)
From:      "[gill]" <gill@topsecret.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        bitsurfr@enteract.com, dkiwebe@hagenhomes.com
Subject:   StarOffice5 install problem

Hello.  I have looked for a more apropriate place to post this question
but the forums on the sun website have no information relating to
FreeBSD.  I have run the installation according to the instructions on
the http://www.freebsddiary.org/staroffice.html and compiled these notes
on my most recent of about ten attempts over the last 48 hours.  I am
running FreeBSD 3.4-R, Gnome, and Enlightenment from ports that ship with
it.  I should also note that I have tried  in previous attempts the
 "setenv SAL_DO_NOT_USE_INVERT50 true"
trick as specified in the /usr/local/Office51/README ... but to no avail.

step 1. su
step 2. cd /usr/ports/editors/staroffice5
step 3. make deinstall
step 4. rm -R /usr/local/Office51
step 5. make distclean
step 6. mkdir /usr/ports/distfiles/staroffice5
step 7. cp ~/so51a_lnx_01.tar /usr/ports/distfiles/staroffice5/
step 8. make
	===> Configuring for staroffice-5.1a
	perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
		LC_ALL = (unset)
		LC_CTYPE = "en_US"
		LANG = (unset)
step 9. make install
	You will very shortly be done a network install of StarOffice 5.1a
	Once that is done run "make post-install".
	Once that is done exit X11 and run it again as the user that you usually use.
	Then run "make install-user" and do a standard workstation install.
	It will now be ready to use.

	Good Luck
step 10.(GUI starts)
	 GUI: Welcome to installation - "next"
	 GUI: README displayed - "next"
	 GUI: license agreement displayed - "next"
	 GUI: standard install selected - "next"
	 GUI: install path selected - "next"
	 GUI: creation of install path confirmed - "yes"
	 GUI: start copying - "complete"
	 GUI: copying completed - "complete"
	(GUI closes)
	*** Error code 1 (ignored)
	===>  Generating temporary packing list
	perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
		LC_ALL = (unset)
		LC_CTYPE = "en_US"
		LANG = (unset)
	===>  Registering installation for staroffice-5.1a
step 11. make post-install
	 Reversed (or previously applied patch detected!  Assume -R? [y]
	 Reversed (or previously applied patch detected!  Assume -R? [y]
	perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
		LC_ALL = (unset)
		LC_CTYPE = "en_US"
		LANG = (unset)
step 12. exit su, exit terminal, exit gnome/enlightenment/X11
step 13. cd /usr/ports/editors/staroffice5
step 14. make post-install
	install: /usr/local/Office51/bin/applicat.rdb: Permission denied
	*** Error code 71

	Stop.
step15. make install-user
	/usr/local/Office51/bin/setup
	_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 2
	_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 2
	_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 2
	_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 2
	_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 2
	_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 2
	setup.bin: cannot open display ":0"
	Please check your "DISPLAY" environment variable as well as the permissions to
	access that display (See "man X" resp. "man xhost" for details)
	shared address space fork attempted: pid: 6175

...hrmm...

step 16. startx (start gnome-terminal)
step 17. cd /usr/ports/editors/staroffice5
step 18. make install-user
step 19. GUI: Welcome to installation - "next"
	 GUI: README displayed - "next"
	 GUI: license agreement displayed - "next"
	 GUI: enter user data - "next"
	 GUI: standard workstation installation selected - "next"
	 GUI: install path selected (/home/username/Office51) - "next"
	 GUI: creation of install path confirmed - "yes"
	 GUI: start copying - "complete"
	 GUI: Java setup: no support for Java or JavaScript - "OK"
	 GUI: copying reaches 99% and hangs!
	 GUI: window will not refresh, must be annihilated

...and of several attempts, this has been the most "by the book" of the
installs.  I hope that once I get this stuff working I can help to
write/edit/update documentation to make installs easier for other folks!

thank you in advance for any advice, direction, hints you can give me.

--gill