Date:      Wed, 27 Feb 2002 18:54:01 +0100 (CET)
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        koroush.saraf@lmco.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-cluster@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Mass Upgrade and Maintenance questions

On 27 Feb, Koroush Saraf wrote:

> Question 2:
> How do I install additional packages to all the computers using  the console
> computer.  For example I like to add say ncftp to all 36 computers.  How do
> do that from the console computer?

- Get the package for ncftp (or make one yourself via "make package"
  (this also installs it on the system you run the command on) in the
  respective ports dir) and every other package ncftp may depend upon.
- Put them on every computer.
- Use "pkg_add" to install it.

e.g.:
  for host in $(cat file_with_list_of_newline_seperated_computer_names_in_the_cluster); do
      rcp *.tgz ${host}:
      rsh ${host} pkg_add package_name.tgz
  done

> Question 3:
> I would like to add user accounts to all these computers, however I noticed
> that I cannot simply replicated the /etc/master.passwd file & /etc/group to
> all the computers and expect it to work.  Actually I prefer to issue the
> adduser command on all the computers via remote shell.  If you think this is
> a good idea, tell me how to do this so that I can automatically fill in the
> fields for the 'adduser' prompts.  If there is a better and simpler way, I
> like to know.

You also need to copy /etc/pwd.db (gets generated from passwd) and
/etc/spwd.db (gets generated from master.passwd) if you just want to
have the passwd files replicated from the console computer.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
               Speak softly and carry a cellular phone.