Date:      Fri, 24 Jul 2020 09:43:00 -0400
From:      Paul Mather <paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Victor Sudakov <vas@sibptus.ru>
Subject:   Re: Technological advantages over Linux

On Fri, 24 Jul 2020 10:28:40 +0700, Victor Sudakov <vas@sibptus.ru> =
wrote:

> Message: 4
> Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2020 10:28:40 +0700
> From: Victor Sudakov <vas@sibptus.ru>
> To: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
> Subject: Re: Technological advantages over Linux
>=20
> Victor Sudakov wrote:
>>=20
>> Not to start a flame war. A purely technical question: what
>> technological advantages does the modern FreeBSD have over modern =
Linux?
>=20
> After gaining more experience using Debian systems for several months,
> I've come across several technological disadvantages of FreeBSD as a
> server (in no particular order):

> 3. FreeBSD lacks a native docker (what prevents from fixing
> sysutils/docker-freebsd?). FreeBSD already has a working Linux binary
> compatibility, why can't we run Linux docker? A working docker could
> also make problems with different versions of native PHP irrelevant.

I also agree that this is a big disadvantage.  Whenever I make my =
donation to the FreeBSD Foundation, and they ask in the donation form =
for comments on what you want them to work/focus on in the future, I =
always put a plug in for a native bhyve driver for docker-machine.  This =
would go some way to putting it on a par with Docker under macOS, which =
uses HyperKit to interface with the built-in hypervisor under macOS =
(which is based on bhyve).  MacOS is considered a "first class citizen" =
under the Docker ecosystem, or at least has great support via Docker =
Desktop.  Last I looked, FreeBSD only supported VirtualBox with =
docker-machine.  It would be great to have native bhyve support.

FreeBSD has great tools, but sometimes the tooling/integration lags =
behind. :-(

Cheers,

Paul.=