Date:      20 Oct 2001 11:43:45 -0700
From:      swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Religions (was Re: helping victims of terror)

Elden Fenison <moon_dog@spamcop.net> writes:

> Right... the Bible itself... and actually Jesus' own words pretty much
> tell us that much of the Old Testament law was "superceded" by the New
> Testament teachings.
> It seems to me that
> it pretty much invalidates a teaching when one is allowed to pick and
> choose what parts of that teaching suits them and what parts do not.
> Especially when one of the foundations of that teaching states that the
> teaching in it's entirety is divinely inspired (as Christianity does).
> If
> we are allowed to toss out a portion of the Bible for whatever reason,
> we are no longer following God, but our own will, and essentially making
> our own rules.

Some people who call themselves Christians believe that the Bible does
not contain the words of Jesus, but only a few second-hand memories of
old men and many concoctions, very much influenced by their
philosophical, theological, and even political biases.  It's hard to see
how such Christians are left with enough to build a religion around, but
but they seem to do well enough by building upon "love" (of God and Man)
which everyone agrees is the main message of Jesus (Matt 22:36-40).

The rest, who believe that the Bible's words of Jesus are either
authentic or divinely inspired and reliable, have have a couple of
problems regarding extra-biblical beliefs.

The first is too complex to explain well, but it has to do with the
authority given to the apostles (and maybe some of their "descendants").
Many believe that the early church was given various extra-biblical
teachings with all of authority of God himself.  Some think that's still
true in some circumstances.

The second is Jesus' supposed words: "But the Helper, the Holy Spirit,
whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and
bring to your rememberance all that I said to you".  This is a very
large loophole indeed, which many use liberally.

So, while I might think that Christians "should" base their beliefs on
the Bible, I have to admit that people who don't should be "allowed" to
call themselves Christian too.

Matt 23:23:  Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites!  For
you tithe mint and dill and cummin, and have neglected the weightier
provisions of the law: justice and mercy and faithfulness; but these are
the things you should have done without neglecting the others.

Note the last phrase.  Some few claim that is Christian doctrine, coming
from the mouth of Christ.  Others have latched onto the "justice and
mercy" part (at least in words) while they and almost all other
Christians have neglected the lighter provisions of the law.  The very
early Christians (mostly, but not all Jews) didn't, but later ones did,
initially under the influence of Paul who claimed direct divine
guidance.

Each of these things has a counter-argument, of course, but surely
Christianity has many definitions, and people shouldn't casually speak
as if it has only one.  Same for "free software" - that other religion.