Date:      Fri, 16 Jun 2006 05:41:11 -0700
From:      David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
To:        Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>
Cc:        Rich Winkel <rich@math.missouri.edu>, freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Video sleep on dell d600 (6.1-release)

--J9yJHTI1TR3nSM0E

On Fri, Jun 16, 2006 at 07:28:05AM -0500, Eric Anderson wrote:
> Rich Winkel wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >I can't seem to get the display to shut off when I press the lid switch.
> >In /boot/loader.conf I have=20
> >The system does go to sleep (at least the power indicator starts flashin=
g)
> >but the screen stays lit.  Does anyone have this running?
>=20
> For my Dell's, I usually added a line into rc.suspend and rc.resume, to=
=20
> toggle the acpi video sysctl.  Something like:

Ummm... aren't these rather different issues?  That is, it looks to me
as if one issue is

* display status as a function of lid position

while the other is

* display status as a funtion of suspend/resume status.

On my Inspiron 8200 (and the 5000e that preceded it), I have the BIOS
set to leave the machine running when I close the lid so that I can
start a "make buildworld," close the lid, put the laptop in the trunk of
the car, then drive to work, thus making arguably constructive use of
the commute time.

And I found from experience that mechanically, it is far better to close
the lid; this avoids a significant amount of strain on the lid hinges.=20

(And no, I don't think I have suspend/resume in afunctional state at the
moment; it hasn't been that much of a priority for me.)

Peace,
david
--=20
Doing business with spammers only encourages them.  Please boycott spammers.

--J9yJHTI1TR3nSM0E

--J9yJHTI1TR3nSM0E--