Date:      Mon, 17 May 1999 14:04:23 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Mike Heffner <aheffner@lakefield.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Hackers <hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Debugging

[moved to -hackers]

On Sunday, 16 May 1999 at 23:03:11 -0500, Mike Heffner wrote:

> I would like to trace the source of a panic during boot time. How do I compile
> the boot loader code in DEBUG mode? I tried defining DEBUG with make, but it
> didn't work. What's the _right_ way to compile specific code with debug mode
> set. If there's a url for this, please let me know.

This is probably a better candidate for -hackers, so I've moved it there.

You have a basic problem that you can't take a dump until you have a
dump device.  If you panic before that, you're limited to ddb or
serial gdb.  There's some stuff in the online handbook about how to
set up serial gdb, and in LINT about how to set up ddb.  Note that the
flags for the serial device have changed in *some* versions of
FreeBSD, so check your LINT file for the correct flags.

Greg