Date:      Wed, 19 Nov 1997 12:33:11 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Wyatt Nordstrom <wyattn@nortel.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: help - BSD not recognizing serial ports

On 19 Nov 1997, Wyatt Nordstrom wrote:

> the output of "dmesg | grep sio" is
>   sio0 not found at 0x3f8
>   sio1 not found at 0x2f8
>   sio2 disabled, not probed
>   sio3 disabled, not probed
>
> I have a Amptron PM9200 i430TX mainboard. The following excerpts are from the mainboard doc
>     onboard super multi-I/O chip supports 2-serial ports with 16550 fast UART
>     compatable ...
>   and
>      Two High Speed Serial Ports (16550 UART Compatible)

Hm, probably requires Plug & Pray configuration.

> I have used the W95 partition to verify that com1 and com2 are at 0x3f8 and
> 0x2f8. As for the IRQ, I have no clue. This is the only documentation I could
> find which seemed relevent.

The IRQs should be 4 and 3, respectively, assuming they're using industry
standard settings.

Most likely, the 16550 UART emulation on the I/O controller isn't quite up
to snuff.  YOu can check this by typing `-v' at the Boot: prompt and
checking the output of the probe test for the sio devices.

If they're like what I've seen from this error, two of the tests will fail
for each one.