Date:      Sat, 15 Dec 2001 23:36:27 +0100
From:      "Alson van der Meulen" <alm@flutnet.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems installing 4.3R/4.4R on a Compaq DeskPro4000

On Sat, Dec 15, 2001 at 05:18:49PM -0500, S. Salman Ahmed wrote:

> I have been trying for some time to install FreeBSD (tried 4.3R and
> 4.4R) via FTP using the kern.flp+mfsroot.flp boot disks on a Compaq
> Deskpro 4000, without any success.
I ran FreeBSD 4.2/4.3/4.4 on a Deskpro 4000 without much problem, except
that the BIOS wouldn't boot without keyboard, and the hd's failed as
soon as it fell back from DMA to PIO :(

The tl0 NIC worked just fine for me. Is a 100mbit extension module
installed? Maybe removing it would help. I didn't try with extension
module since I didn't have one.

> This box has a Texas Instruments ThunderLAN based internal NIC:
>
>      Compaq Netelligent 10/100 TX Embedded UTP,
>                         10 T PCI UTP/Coax,
>                         10/100 TX UTP
Which one is it? I think I had the second one.

> that seems to be the source of the problems. The NIC is detected as tl0
> when I boot from the floppies. However, whenever I try to configure the
> tl0 interface using either DHCP, configuration fails and the installer
> pops up the manual/static ip configuration dialog box. After I have
> entered the IP information manually, the installer just waits forever
> trying to resolve the FreeBSD download I selected earlier (I have tried
> ftp.freebsd.org and ftp.ca.freebsd.org).
>
> The machine that is running the DHCP server on my internal net is a
> Debian Linux box and its log show the following:
>
> Dec 14 15:26:50 hades dhcpd-2.2.x: DHCPDISCOVER from 00:08:c7:c0:0c:86 via eth1
> Dec 14 15:26:50 hades dhcpd-2.2.x: DHCPOFFER on 192.168.1.6 to 00:08:c7:c0:0c:86 via eth1
> Dec 14 15:26:52 hades dhcpd-2.2.x: DHCPREQUEST for 192.168.1.6 from 00:08:c7:c0:0c:86 via eth1
> Dec 14 15:26:52 hades dhcpd-2.2.x: DHCPACK on 192.168.1.6 to 00:08:c7:c0:0c:86 via eth1
>
> (00:08:c7:c0:0c:86 is the MAC address of the NIC in the Deskpro4000)
> So I don't understand why DHCP configuration fails.
>
> Also, I am unable to ping this machine (on which I am trying to install
> FreeBSD) from one of the other machines on my internal net.
>
> I know that there is nothing wrong with the NIC itself as I have been
> able to install Linux on this very same machine numerous times (using
> either DHCP or static IP configuration for the same NIC).
>
> This problem happens with both the 4.3R and 4.4R boot disks. I'd
> appreciate any information on getting this problem fixed.
It appears that the kernel thinks the NIC works just fine, but it
doesn't transmit any data. Did you look with tcpdump for any traffic
sent by that NIC on your network from a different box?

It could also be a mediatype/speed/duplex problem (please show the output of
ifconfig tl0, can be run from the emergency shell thingie), and the
speed that your hub/switch report (you should be able to determine at least
the speed from LED's).

Does the LED on your hub/switch for that port go on when you plug the
cable in?

HTH,
Alson