Date:      Sun, 25 Nov 2001 09:23:17 -0800
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Joost Bekkers" <joost@bps.jodocus.org>, "Chuck Root" <puga@mauibuilt.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: IPFW/VLAN

Ahem - ARP is an IP protocol...

>The reason why you can't bridge the vlan interfaces is because
>bridging only works on ethernet interfaces.
>
>At this point there is nothing you can do about it. (aside from
>changing the kernel code)

See

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=45862+48717+/usr/local/www/db/text
/2001/freebsd-stable/20010211.freebsd-stable

for a message from one of the kernel developers as to why ipfw cannot
filter bridged packets.

Consider that ipfw gets it's name from IP = Internet Protocol + FW Firewall.
As others have pointed out a program intended for filtering IP packets
is not the correct vehicle for filtering bridged packets.

There's been periodic interest in writing a bridge filter, however nobody
has stepped forward to do the work.

I'll point out, though, that hubs that have management and filtering
capability built into them are not that expensive.