Date:      Mon, 16 Jul 2001 14:33:00 +0400
From:      "Andrey A. Chernov" <ache@nagual.pp.ru>
To:        David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>, current@FreeBSD.org, brian@FreeBSD.org, imp@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: libedit replacement for libreadline

On Mon, Jul 16, 2001 at 10:33:51 +0100, David Malone wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 16, 2001 at 01:31:27AM -0700, Kris Kennaway wrote:
>
> > I've just finished syncing up our libedit to the version in NetBSD,
> > which includes a number of bugfixes, but perhaps more interestingly it
> > can function as a drop-in (apparently binary compatible) replacement
> > for GNU libreadline (unfortunately it's not binary compatible with our
> > present libedit).
>
> It doesn't actually impliment all of libreadline - just it's most
> common uses. Last time I checked libedit couldn't emulate readline's
> callback mode. I looked at implimenting the callback stuff, but it
> would be really hard to do properly 'cos of how libedit is structured.
> (In the end I hacked something together, but it's really ugly.)

I don't think that libreadline replacement is good idea. Libreadline is
moving target - every version adds new functions and renames old ones. I
doubt that NetBSD people will follow libreadline closely. Moreover, I
think some libreadline stuff is very libreadline specific and will be not
implemened in any case. So libedit as libreadline replacement can be used
only if you want to save some space on floppy for very simple libreadline
application, but not in general case.

--
Andrey A. Chernov
http://ache.pp.ru/