Date:      Sun, 15 Feb 1998 10:03:05 +0000
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        Mark Turrin <mlt@linkzone.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Spam filters

> Greetings,
>
> I'm running FreeBSD 2.2.5 and Sendmail 8.8.7
>
> I added the rewrite rules that were given in the
> /etc/mail/sendmail.cf.additions file and followed all the instructions in
> the README there.  What is not clear is should the following ruleset be
> commented out as it states that it is for testing purposes only:
>
> Sxlat
> R$* $$| $*              $: $1 $| $2
> R$* $| $*               $@ $>check_relay $1 $| $2

This rule is just for testing.  When you run `sendmail -bt', you
can't type ``$|'' without sendmail separating it on you - you
therefore can't test the check_relay ruleset.  Testing the xlat
ruleset defeats this problem:

$ sendmail -bt
> xlat my.domain $| 1.2.3.4
^D

Removing it will do no harm until you want to test something.
Leaving it there does no harm either.

> Also are these rulesets the most recent?
>
> I'm not sure if these rulesets are working as I get the following messages
> in the maillog file:
>
> Feb 14 12:37:48 argon sendmail[15696]: NOQUEUE: SYSERR(root):
> host_map_lookup(cyberpromo.com): bogus NULL cache entry, errno = 0, h_errno = 0
>
> What does the "bogus NULL cache entry" mean?
>
> Testing with sendmail -bt gives the following results:
>
> > check_mail mlt@cyberpromo.com
> rewrite: ruleset 198   input: mlt @ cyberpromo . com
> rewrite: ruleset   3   input: mlt @ cyberpromo . com
> rewrite: ruleset  96   input: mlt < @ cyberpromo . com >
> host_map_lookup(cyberpromo.com): bogus NULL cache entry, errno = 0,
> h_errno = 0
> rewrite: ruleset  96 returns: mlt < @ cyberpromo . com >
> rewrite: ruleset   3 returns: mlt < @ cyberpromo . com >
> rewrite: ruleset 198 returns: $# error $: 521 #blocked . contact
> postmaster

This *may* be because you haven't got at least two words in your spam
database.  When sendmail executes ``$(Kfilename arg $)'', it replaces
any found ``arg'' with whatever's on the right hand side in the
database (and appends any -a stuff from the K line).  I've never seen
this error, so I'm just guessing.

> I'm not getting the "Check_mail rejects:" or "Check_relay rejects:" as
> specified in the README.
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated.

Get the latest releng_2_2 stuff.  It checks the input domain
recursively so that you can also put hostnames in your spam files.
But most importantly, it's got some comments at the top of the file
detailing what can break the rulesets (FEATURE(nocanonify) is the
most common).

      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;