Date:      Sat, 28 Apr 2001 23:58:28 +0200
From:      Oliver von Bueren <maillist@ovb.ch>
To:        freebsd-isdn@freebsd.org
Subject:   Update i4b to a 4.3-STABLE from -current

Hello to all and of course Hellmuth!

Just to give some information to those trying the same as I did.

The base was a 4.3-STABLE system, last refreshed on 2001-04-24. On top
of that I installed the i4b out of the -current branche, as done with
the addon provieded for this.

BTW: This system ran ok with version i4b-00-96-00 as overinstalled
some time ago. The first thing before doing any cvs upgrade to
4.3-STABLE was to removed it with overuninstall.

Some of the catches I ran into:
- While doing the make in src/usr.sbin/i4b it tried to make the
manpages for .1 (say in the isdnd directory for isdnd.1) which gave
the message don't know how to make isdnd.1 and aborted. I could not
find any reference why it would want to make that, as the define MAN
clearly stated isdnd.8. Commenting out this line did not help, so I
made a ln -s for isdnd.1 to isdnd.8. This was the same in most of the
subdirectories of i4b.
- The isdnmonitor facility did no more work. Browsing through the list
I found that the define I4B_EXTERNAL_MONITOR was not set while
building the source that way, so I added the line
I4B_EXTERNAL_MONITOR = 1
at the top of isdnd/Makefile, which re-enabled the functionality.
- The I saw some very strange messages at startup, which I can't
explain. dmesg shows them as follows:
ERROR: "i4bctl" bmaj but is not a disk
ERROR: "i4btel" bmaj but is not a disk
ERROR: "i4brbch" bmaj but is not a disk
ERROR: "i4btrc" bmaj but is not a disk
ERROR: "i4b" bmaj but is not a disk
My first though was that something with the device files was wrong.
But they were all rebuild with the MAKEDEV as in 4.3-STABLE as of that
time. It doesn't seem to have any side-effect, but it's strange
anyway.

The first two items needed intervention to make it work, the third is
just somewhat strange. Any comments on that?

       Yours sincerely,
       Oliver von Bueren
       Communication- and Network-Engineering

 Oliver von Bueren                                ovb-at-solcon.ch
 SolCon GmbH, Lachenacker 9, CH-8049 Zuerich         www.solcon.ch
 Direct Phone: +41-79-669 38 94
 Office:       +41-1-340 11 77
 Fax:          +41-1-340 11 78