Date:      Wed, 29 Mar 1995 10:55:17 +1000 (EST)
From:      Darren Reed <darrenr@vitruvius.arbld.unimelb.edu.au>
To:        dufault@hda.com (Peter Dufault)
Cc:        dufault@hda.com, freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Configuring driver added via LKM

In some email I received from Peter Dufault, they wrote:

> Is it on purpose that "id_alive" isn't set if you are reconfiguring
> a device in "isa/isa.c"?  Is there an entry point for "I'm about
> to remove you"?

> How completely thrashed out is registering a device with the kernel
> (completely, including using Garrett's devconf routines) and then
> de-registering it in order to completely clean up and register
> again?

> I may be missing something, but I don't see a set of entry points
> that look like there are many people adding and removing device
> drivers for debug.  I'd like the device driver code to remain
> completely clean without any conditionals for the LKM.
>
> If anyone has any pointers I'd appreciate them.

You might want to do the unload of the LKM in stages...first, shut the
device down from further IO requests (open/read/write), allow outstanding
ones to complete and then remove it from the various tables.  I can't
see why this wouldn't be doable, as long as you weren't expecting the
unload to be immeadiate.

darren