Date:      Fri, 27 Jun 1997 22:59:28 +0000
From:      Jason Wells <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Jargon

While reading a freebsd document I came across this term which I have seen
many times and never researched. The term is "arbitrary code" and here it
is used in context.

     Due to its nature, the lpr program is setuid root. Unfortunately,
     the program does not do sufficient bounds checking on arguments which
     are supplied by users.  As a result it is possible to overwrite the
     internal stack space of the program while it's executing.  This can
     allow an intruder to execute **arbitrary code** by crafting a carefully
     designed argument to lpr.

TNHD does not include this definition.

Thanks,
Jason
 __   __
/ 0\ / 0\         Thank you * Highperformance.net
     )     Wannabe Sysadmin * The homeless domain
)-------(       Jason Wells * "Pardon me sir, spare some bandwidth?"
 \_____/