Date:      Fri, 25 Jan 2002 08:52:45 -0500
From:      "Eric L. Howard" <elh@outreachnetworks.com>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Firewall config non-intuitiveness

At a certain time, now past, Crist J. Clark spake thusly:
> On Thu, Jan 24, 2002 at 08:21:50PM -0800, Patrick Greenwell wrote:
> >
> > I recently got bit by this: I have firewall options configured into my
> > kernel, and made the mistake of thinking that in order to disable
> > this functionality to allow all traffic that I merely needed to remove the
> > firewall_enable paramater from my rc.conf since firewall_enable is set to NO in
> > /etc/defaults/rc.conf.
> >
> > This did not have the intended result of disabling the firewall, rather a
> > default deny was applied. If firewall_enable is set to NO, wouldn't it make
> > more sense to have the init scripts set net.inet.ip.fw.enable to 0, or am I
> > missing something?
> >
> > Opinions welcome.
>
> I think this is a valid point. When 'firewall_enable="NO"' the
> firewalling should be disabled with the net.inet.ip.fw.enable
> sysctl(8).
>
> That said, it _may_ be a little late to make this change in
> -STABLE. Although the name may be misleading, I think the rest of the
> documentation is accurate. Besides all the stuff people have quoted
> about the 'options IPFIREWALL' in the kernel, I think rc.conf(5) is
> fairly clear,
>
>      firewall_enable
>                    (bool) Set to ``YES'' to load firewall rules at startup.
>                    If the kernel was not built with IPFIREWALL, the ipfw ker-
>                    nel module will be loaded.  See also ipfilter_enable.
>
> In that it only says special things happen when it is "YES" and
> doesn't say it is explicitly disabled when set to "NO." Since this is
> such a security critical option, I really hesitate when it comes to
> changing this in -STABLE. -CURRENT OTOH...

Agreed, and since it is _explicitly_ stated that "YES" loads firewall rules
at start-up, the _implicit_ assumption (good or bad [bad for Patrick in this
case] when that section of rc.conf(5) is read) is that if I set "NO" then no
firewall rules will be loaded at startup (I think we agree here).  Kinda
like Cisco ACLs...not shown, but we all know there's an implicit deny at the
bottom that doesn't log info...

I think the three pronged approach in the other sub-thread is a good idea to
introduce into to -CURRENT...at the same time, what would it take to fixup
the manpages in -STABLE with an explicit statement of what "NO" does?

       ~elh
--
Eric L. Howard           e l h @ o u t r e a c h n e t w o r k s . c o m