Date:      Tue, 19 Jan 1999 09:42:51 PST
From:      "john bäckstrand" <sandos@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   problems...

I have some ideas for improvements to the FreeBSD install program, and
some questions. I have 2 HDs with Windows 98/NT on them,  (One 3.2Gb(in
LBA mode, 4 X FAT16 partitons) and one 4.2GB(in normal mode, FAT16
primary dos partiton+ extended dos partition + a NTFS part. , one
primary dos part more )) and I would like to install FreeBSD on the
second HD´s primary dos part., from "dos partition" c:. Now, this
doesn´t work, it says it cant find the files (and yes, they´re in the
correct directory etc) my guess is that my 1st HD is not in "normal"
geometry mode in BIOS, or either that it is not a "normal dos"
partiton(???). Do you know the answer to this?

When the install program boots, it "detects", or at least prints out,
the geometrys for the 2 HDs in "normal" mode. Thats all fine, but why
doesnt it use those settings later on? When choosing which partition to
install to, it uses some rather odd geometry. (And, actually, it reports
the 4.2Gb HD being twice as big as it is, VERY vonfusing to have 2(!!)
3.5GB partitons =)..though once it worked out correctly), so you´ll have
to change the geometry "by hand" =). And, is it possible to use the
"LBA" geometry or any other geometry besides "normal" when installing
FreeBSD? In my BIOS it says "some OS´, like SCO-UNIX need normal mode
for install". These modes is, on both HDs "normal" "large" "LBA" I
think.

And, even if it were possible to use LBA mode on my first disk, I can´t
specify any geometry on the install media! This would be a nice thing,
if it has any use that is...

I guess you won´t have the possibility to do any of these
"improvements", but could you at least write a bit more on these things
in the install docs?

Im (trying to =) using FreeBSD 3.0, a PII233, IDE drives etc...32Mb RAM,
the HDs is prim/sec Masters, and I have an ATAPI CDROM!....guess this
won´t help, but you can  never be sure, eh?

Hmm, sorry for all those parenthes´  =)

/sandos