Date:      Wed, 9 Apr 1997 21:23:44 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Eric Yagerlener <eyager@novagate.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vm_fault bug in 2.1.0?

On Tue, 8 Apr 1997, Eric Yagerlener wrote:

> I have 32M of ram and and 27M of swap.  The error is easily reproducable.
>
> I logged in as root and did the following command on a directory that
> contained 35 files that were 11.6M long total and were compressed with
> 'compress'.
>
> zcat * |less
>
> Things work well and I'm able to scroll through the files.  I decide to go
> searching for keywords through all these files using less's search
> command.  It works fine at first, but as you get closer to the end of the
> files, things get gradually slower and slower.  Finally it reaches the
> point to where the system will suddenly do nothing but disk swapping, and
> all other processes are completely dead in the water and eventually die
> because of the lack of memory.  However, less won't die and keeps on
> thrashing away despite all the vm_faults it's generating.  My guess is
> that less is spawning a child process that will thrash the system until a
> vm_fault occurs kills that child process, less will simply ignore it and
> create another one that does the exact same thing an infinite amount of
> times.

It sounds more like a memory hole in less (trying to store the output of
the zcat) than a VM system fault.  Considering this is 2.1.0, I doubt we
can do anything for you.  If you can get a new system running 2.2.1 or
newer to do it, then we might listen.

> Apr  8 10:22:47 wolfden /kernel: Process 656 killed by vm_fault -- out of swap
>
> Is this the vm_fault bug that I heard mention of?

No, that's the vm_fault function (trying to) save your bacon by killing
processes.