Date:      Fri, 12 Mar 1999 10:04:04 +1000 (EST)
From:      Q <q@fan.net.au>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        ulf@Alameda.net, Ryan Dewalt <rdewalt@meridianksi.com>, freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Creative Labs DVD Dxr2

On Thu, 11 Mar 1999, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> Thanks for the summary - that's quite good (though the situation you
> paint a picture of is a little less so).  I think the first place to
> start is IS9660/UDF, and since my DVD drive now works with Soren's
> latest ATAPI driver, I think I'll start poking around on
> http://trylinux.com/projects/udf/

I haven't bothered reading about UDF yet. UDF has a freely available
specification so it shouldn't be too difficult for someone to get
functioning. I have concentrated on the Dxr2 board (because I have one),
and the possibility of using it as a hardware MPEG-2 decoder which doesn't
require CSS or UDF support to work.

> I've also seen BETA (Linux) drivers for "the Dxr2 board", but I have
> no idea how comprehensive or complete they are.  Wasn't Bill Fenner
> or somebody also working on such a thing for FreeBSD?

I have seen the odd discussion about DVD support in the archives but I
haven't actually seen anyone say they were working on it.

I have spoken with Andrew Veliath (Linux driver author) and he has
encountered the same problem with obtaining information about the ZiVA-DS
chip. His driver currently only manipulates the video overlay hardware,
the Auravision AnP-82 which has online documentation. So you can't really
use it for much yet.

He also has some patches for the Linux CD-ROM driver to support CSS key
negotiation, although nothing uses it yet.
(http://www.rpi.edu/~veliaa/linux-dvd/)

Seeya...Q

                          _____  /      Quinton Dolan - q@fan.net.au
  __  __/  /   /   __/   /      /          Systems Administrator
     /    __  /   _/    /      /            Fast Access Network
  __/  __/ __/ ____/   /   -  /          Gold Coast, QLD, Australia
                    _______  /              Ph: +61 7 5574 1050
                           \_\                 SAGE-AU Member