Date:      Thu, 25 Apr 1996 13:25:40 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Christopher R. Bowman" <crb@Glue.umd.edu>
To:        Terry Woods <twoods@ccgate.sos.state.il.us>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Net connected printer

On Thu, 25 Apr 1996, Terry Woods wrote:

> [...]

Well I don't know enough to wade in on this except to say that I have a HP4M
with the jetdirect card on my 10B2 network and lpr ing works fine give the
following /etc/printcap entries, one for postscript and one for ascii.
Since the 4M is a auto switching printer, I would guess you could
just send ps and ascii to the ascii entry or vise versa, but I have never
bothered to try.  These entries were created right from information in the
Jetdirect manuals which tells you how to set up lpd.

Photon is the name I have my printer in /etc/hosts

lp|hp4|photon|Networked HP4M plain text:\
        :lp=:\
        :rm=photon:\
        :rp=text:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd:\
        :lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:

hp-ps|hp4m|photon-ps|Networked HP4M PostScript:\
        :lp=:\
        :rm=photon:\
        :rp=raw:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd:\
        :lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:

>         Can I handle this printer as described in FreeBSD handbook
>         under the heading "Printers with Networked Data Stream
>         Interfaces"
>

>         Terry

---------
Christopher R. Bowman