Date:      Tue, 23 Mar 1999 05:14:20 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@phone.net>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Build of 3.1-STABLE failing?

Mike Meyer wrote:

> "Nuts" because the reason stated was exactly what I *was* doing. I was
> using make & make install to build & install my changes to the source
> tree.

You said you was cvsupping. What error did you came up with? An
undefined "define". Why is that? Because the include file in which
it was defined was not installed in the obj tree before the program
that required it was compiled. Why not? Because you made "all",
instead of making "buildworld". The later makes sure all the
programs/libs/includes required to build world are
recompiled/installed (in the obj tree) *before* actually doing so,
so that modifications to any of these will take effect.

If this was *your* modification, you would instantly spot the error,
it's causes and figure out what need to be done to solve it.

> > If you submitted the patches, you better just keep your own tree,
> > with your patches. Whenever the patches reach the tree, the
> > committer will, hopefully, close the PR.
>
> Which sounds like "don't bother tracking -STABLE, just track
> -RELEASE". After all, what I was doing was to make update, reinstall
> my patches, then do the build.

This was left a bit out of context. If what you wanted was "just see
when your patches got in", all you have to do is wait for the PR to
close, or read cvs-all. No need to keep cvsupping.

If you *do* want to track -stable, which, *imho*, is a good idea,
but ommv, the correct procedure is buildworld&installworld (or just
world).

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com

	"Someone's trying to hack into our server."
	"Wow... How flattering!"
	"I know. There must be some mistake."