Date:      Sun, 21 Dec 2003 11:39:16 -0500
From:      Trey Sizemore <trey@fastmail.fm>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Initial install (packages vs. ports)

--=-sjUk3GOkWUeIEydHiEk1

On Sun, 2003-12-21 at 06:22, Matthew Seaman wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 20, 2003 at 11:13:23PM -0500, Trey Sizemore wrote:
> > Just for clarification...
> >=20
> > The trade off I see with installing from CD vs. doing a minimal install=
=20
> > is that when it comes time to upgrade it will cause more issues.
> >=20
> > By this I mean that if I do a minimal install and then later install=20
> > from ports it will be more seamless than installing first from packages=
=20
> > (like KDE, for example) and then trying to upgrade with ports later.
> >=20
> > Certainly packages from the CD would be installed quicker than having t=
o=20
> > build from ports, but at the cost of future upgrades.
>=20
> Actually, you'll be pleased to hear this is completely false.  pkgs
> and ports are closely related and there's no problem in installing a
> package and then updating it via ports or vice versa. portupgrade(1)
> even has the handy -P option to make that sort of thing easier.
>=20
> A pkg is nothing more than the result of compiling a port, bundled up
> in a tar ball and with a few extra bits'n'bobs to help keep the
> administrivia in line.  You can build your own packages from the ports
> tree simply by typing 'make package' in the appropriate port directory
> -- although this will also install the port on your system.
>=20
> There are other reasons for doing a minimal install -- generally when
> I'm installing a box, I usually want to jump to the latest -STABLE
> rather than the -RELEASE version from the CDs, so I tend to do a
> minimal install from CD, grab the cvsup-without-gui package off the
> CDs or the 'net and from there grab the latest sources into an empty
> /usr/src and start building.  Similar treatment for ports -- instead
> of installing the ports tree from CD, I find it's easier to just
> cvsup(1) the whole tree starting with an empty directory.  This works
> well if you have a decent amount of bandwith, and it avoids the 'adopt
> the ports tree into cvsup' problem as described in:
>=20
>     http://www.cvsup.org/faq.html#caniadopt
>     http://www.cvsup.org/faq.html#adopt
>=20
> 	Cheers,
>=20
> 	Matthew

Thanks, just what I needed to find out. I had been doing some trial
installations on a spare laptop over the last few weeks, and now I want
to do an install on my primary desktop machine.

The way I was going to do the install was:

1 - Perform the install (including X) and include the ports collection
along with KDE. This from the 5.2 RC disc.

2 - Install and configure cvsup and portupgrade suing packages (pkg_add
-r cvsup-without-gui and pkg_add -r portupgrade)

3 - Update my source tree and ports tree using cvsup and portupgrade
(though not sure of the order here).

4 - Make buildworld, build kernel, install kernel, (REBOOT) and
installworld. Run portupgrade -a. I assume it is somewhere in here that
I would be able to include pcm support for my sound card.

5 - Then update the system to the packages I want.

Any pointers or mention of glaring omissions is appreciated.

--=20
Cheers,
Trey
---

The beauty of the soul shines out when a man bears with
composure one heavy mischance after another, not because he
does not feel them, but because he is a man of high and heroic temper.
- Aristotle

--=-sjUk3GOkWUeIEydHiEk1

--=-sjUk3GOkWUeIEydHiEk1--