Date:      Thu, 28 Aug 2014 12:15:04 -0400
From:      Paul Kraus <paul@kraus-haus.org>
To:        "William A. Mahaffey III" <wam@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions !!!! <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Virtualbox questions ....

On Aug 28, 2014, at 11:43, William A. Mahaffey III <wam@hiwaay.net> =
wrote:

> I just pkg-installed virtualbox-ose  virtualbox-ose-additions =
virtualbox-ose-kmod & whatever they wanted as dependencies. I followed =
most of the directions at =
https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/virtualization-=
host-virtualbox.html, until I got down to the part about changing =
permissions for |/dev/vboxnetctl .... there is no such animal on my box =
(FBSD 9.3 64-bit, new install) .... I skipped down to launch virtualbox, =
which failed as root because of no display set, but worked as regular =
user (I am su'ed into root from regular user, not console logged in, =
that may be the problem) .... Is anyone using VBox under FBSD 9.3 (w/ =
desktop, XFCE or other) to run Win7 VM's ? Any =
advice/gotchas/wisdom/etc. :-) ? TIA =85.|

I am using VirtualBox under 9.x.

You only need to change permissions if you are running VMs as users =
*other* than root. All of my systems are servers and run the VMs as =
root, so I have not had to change any permissions.

If you are going to run the GUI, you need to give it access to your =
display. I generally log in as root (most of the time via VNC) and the =
GUI works fine.

I am running a combination of Windows Server 2008R2, FreeBSD 9.x, =
FreeBSD 10.0, OpenSuse 12.x without any issues. I do have a problem on =
certain hardware running OpenSuSE 13.x (and other Linux distributions =
based on the came kernel), they hang on boot and I have not been able to =
track it down. I only run Linux when I need to, so the vast majority of =
my Unix-like VMs are FreeBSD.

--
Paul Kraus
paul@kraus-haus.org