Date:      Fri, 23 Dec 2005 20:45:17 -0800
From:      "Michael C. Shultz" <ringworm01@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        Ranko Sredojevic <surija@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: cleaning ports manually?

On Friday 23 December 2005 20:23, Ranko Sredojevic wrote:
> I did it wrong last time. Sorry about that. Trying to fix here by posting
> here...
>
> If I want to clean up, and really know what is inside my box, is the
> following ok to do:
>
> pkg_delete -a
> % at this point I should have just base system, right?
> % do I have to rebuild the world or is it guaranteed to be independent from
> anything in ports?

Here is another way you migh wish to consider is you want to be left
with just the base system:

rm -r /usr/local
rm -r /usr/X11R6
rm -r /var/db

Note: I don't recomend this, there are far better ways to rebuild all ports
such as (sysutils/portmanager)

portmanager -u -f

As far as I know the world will not be effected by removing the above
directories and if it is likely that is something that should be reported
through a PR (problem report).

> rebuild & install the world
> rebuild & install kernel
>
> put back, one by one (or by dependencies) desired ports?
>
> How do I inspect what entered the system when making a port?

/var/db/pkg/{portname}/+CONTENTS is a packing list for each installed port.

> On some list, I have seen people having problems with DRM and ati radeon
> 9250 cards.
> It is enabled, it is being loaded but glxgears and glxinfo are claiming no
> direct rendering.
> glx, dri and all the stuff is loaded through xorg.conf
> Someone sugested rebuilding the Xorg since some library might need fixing
> for radeon???
> Is this possible? And if it is how do I force linking some radeon-specific
> code?

Might want to learn how to set up xorg.conf for your specific card, its up to
you to do the research on how, try googling for your card + FreeBSD

> What is the status of gnome 2.12? Does it build? I tried upgrading through
> the script, but
> now my gnome is totally messed up... and I was planing to learn more by
> doing the
> thing from beginning... so can I follow this procedure?

portmanager x11/gnome2 ( add -f to force rebuilding of all dependencies,
likely you won't need to do this.) is another way to build gnome if you want
to avoid using the script.

> tnx,
> rasha

-Mike