Date:      Fri, 05 Jul 2019 17:49:31 +0200
From:      Jan Beich <jbeich@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Christian Jachmann <Jachmann@unitix.org>
Cc:        gecko@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: www/seamonkey removed from ports

Christian Jachmann <Jachmann@unitix.org> writes:

> Hi,
>
> www/seamonkey was removed from ports these days...
>
> I'm not able to update ports, it breaks
>
> ===>>> The www/seamonkey port has been deleted: 2.49.* is not maintained upstream and full of security holes
> ===>>> Aborting update

The commit removing the port provides a more verbose rationale.
https://svnweb.freebsd.org/changeset/ports/505753

I failed to mention the port was broken on amd64 since FreeBSD 11.3,
12.1, 13.0. One could switch to llvm60 or llvm70 as a workaround but
those will be removed in future. And if switched users would still
complain why www/seamonkey needs to pull yet another llvm* package.

> Will we get it back some day ?

Depends on upstream. If SeaMonkey fails to adopt ESR68 in a year or less
then no, it's not worth the effort to maintain perma-vulnerable package.
And if it succeeds then gecko@ may not be the best maintainer.