Date:      Sat, 14 Sep 1996 03:02:15 -0700 (PDT)
From:      asami@freebsd.org (Satoshi Asami)
To:        jfieber@indiana.edu
Cc:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: language-specific manuals

 * > What do you think is the right place to put localized man pages?
 *
 * You must be reading my mind!  I was just thinking about this.

Yeah, I got that tingle behind my ears saying "John is thinking about
this, John is thinking about this" so I decided to prod you!  Yay!

 * > /usr/share/man/man?/${LANG}
 * > /usr/share/man/${LANG}/man?
 * > /usr/share/${LANG}/man/man?
 * > /usr/${LANG}/share/man/man?

 * In the latest version of man(1) that Wolfram mentioned, the second
 * is implemented.  It seems reasonable to me.

Ok.  So, when are we going to pull in that wonderful upgrade? :)

 * What I'm not so sure on is how they should be laid out in the source
 * tree.  For the message catalogs, I looked at how ee was laid out:

Aahh.  You're right, I totally forgot that man pages are scattered all
over the place (unlike the handbook)....

 * ee/
 *   man/
 *     de_DE.ISO_8859-1/
 *       ee.1
 *     en_US.ISO_8859-1/
 *       ee.1
 *     fr_FR.ISO_8859-1/
 *       ee.1
 *
 * Also note that this puts the english man page on a level with the
 * other languages.  Some might appreciate this turn of events.  Of

I'm not so sure about that.  For one thing, citizens of Canada/UK may
be greatly offended with the implication that they somehow have to
piggyback on a certain country.... :>

 * course, if they were actually installed that way, man(1) would have
 * to know which language to fall back on if no page was found in the
 * directory indicated by $LANG.

Yes, that too.

 * If the layout is standardized enough, then populating the nls and man
 * directories with Makefiles could probably be avoided.

Absolutely.

 * Or, we could cut out the man an nls directory layer entirely and
 * merge the two, but then you have files in a single directory being
 * installed in different places in the system (assuming both catalogs
 * and man pages).

Many programs don't have message catalogs anyway, so I don't think we
should worry too much about merging the two.  I'd just put nls man
pages in man/${LANG}, and leave the English version upstairs (where it
is now, or in man/).

 * Finally, how about selective building and installing?  Japanese man
 * pages, for example, wouldn't be very helpful to me.  I can imagine
 * the binary distribution having optional "language packs" including
 * any localized man pages and message catalogs.  But then how about
 * installing a hybrid including localized man pages, and a subset
 * of english man pages to fill in where the localized ones are not
 * present...   (Having a panic attack yet Jordan?)

To make Jordan's life easier later, I suggest we use a new variable
for building options (build all, build only one specified in ${LANG},
build English only, loop through building one language at a time...).

 * With the handbook, the problem arises of having multiple translations
 * of some files, but not others, yet *a* version of each is needed to
 * build the whole handbook, regardless of language.  Consequently, some
 * files may be shared between different versions.

For the handbook, I'd say keep it inside each directory.  This is a
"book", and has to be updated coherently as such.  I don't think
sharing anything (other than Makefiles) between languages is a good
idea, even things like lists.sgml need to be translated.

 * 						    Actually, this isn't
 * a difficult problem to solve, but should the english version be
 * installed in /usr/share/doc/handbook, or
 * /usr/share/doc/handbook/en_US.ISO_8859-1?

(I think bsd.sgml.mk requires the last path component of the source to
be "handbook", but I digress. :)  I prefer /usr/share/doc/${LANG}/handbook.
If we are going to default to English when ${LANG} is not set, then
the English version should stay where it is now (just take out ${LANG}
from the above pathname and see where it points to :).

 * There are a lot of logistical details once you start thinking about
 * it.

Yep....

Satoshi